Sunday, October 18, 2009

...what we can become.

For my Organizational Behavior Class, my group and I are required to perform a total of 50 hours of service. Now ironically, my group of five people struggled to come up with a feasible idea that would allow for each one of us to offer 10 hours of service to our community; however, if we really sit back and think about it, people are in need of service everywhere around us. For instance, the kid I see on the way to school everyday, who is always trying to parallel park his car into a TIGHT spot, could use a little guidance and help from me as I pass by. Or what about the cashier at Smiths who always looks so sad and bored; I am sure he could use a good conversation or smile!

Well, my group finally came up with an idea, and yesterday we put in about 8 hours of service. Let me tell you, it was so fulfilling. I am pretty sure I got more out of it than the people we helped. We went to the Provo Food and Care Coalition and essentially dished up close to 80 trays of food for the hungry. We got there at about 4 pm and began to set the tables. As soon as 4:30 hit, the kitchen began to fill with hungry men, women, and children. I had the opportunity to serve close to 50 people. The looks on their faces as I placed the trays before them made it all worth it. Maybe my favorite part of the evening was seeing an elderly man raise his hand and make a little announcement to the head chef. He said, "I just want to say that the dinner was SOOOO good tonight. Thank you!"



I guess what I learned from yesterday was that first, I have so much to be grateful for. The next time I complain... well, I shouldn't. Secondly, I am amazed at the gratitude that the poor have. Something so simple as a tray of food is enough to make them smile from ear to ear and express sincere, heartfelt thanks. Finally, I learned that service is really perhaps the most fulfilling and heartwarming endeavor anyone could ever take part in.

I think that I was supposed to learn something even more about the importance of service this weekend because every talk in church today was on... Service. Relief Society was on how to better love and serve our families; Sunday School was on Serving through Temple Work; and Sacrament was on Service, Service, Service. One quote by Elder Oaks stated,

"The values of the world wrongly teach that 'it's all about me.' That corrupting attitude produces no change and no growth... The plan of the gospel of Jesus Christ lifts us above our selfish desires and teaches us that this life is all about what we can become."

Becoming ... it requires action on my part.

Well... I have a lot of work ahead of me...

1 comment:

  1. Aw- i liked reading this Em. It made me want to be better!

    ReplyDelete