Thursday, July 1, 2010

Travelling the World

A combination of my world travels, studying for the CPA Exam, and my general laziness have been the reasons behind why I have not blogged; however, I am taking a much needed study break at the moment and repenting by making this blog entry.

In the past 3 weeks, I have been in the following locations: (chronologically)
1. Mexico
2. Utah
3. Arizona
4. Nevada
5. California
6. Illinois
7. Michigan
8. Indiana
9. Texas

Cool, huh? And I will explain what I did in each location...

Mexico
For 5 days, I got the opportunity to travel, by 15-passenger van, to Baja Mexico where I served at an orphanage among some of the sweetest little orphans. I heard about this opportunity from a friend and then decided to go on the adventure myself with one of my closest friends, Janae! At the last minute, my friend from back home, Ine, decided to join in on the experience and we picked her up in San Diego just prior to crossing the border into Mexico.

What an experience this trip was. I got to help teach a 4th grade class; I participated in a carnival for the children; I took the orphans to the beach for the first time in their lives, and I was in Mexico as the Mexican world cup game was being played. Perhaps what I got most from this experience was an understanding of how other people live. As I slept and ate in their orphanage, I caught a glimpse, merely a glimpse, of what it must be like to be an orphan. It seems as though there is not much opportunity available; however, these children find so much joy in the simplicity of life. Kicking a soccer ball for hours, or waking up at 4 am to crowd around a television set to support their national soccer team brought smiles and fulfillment to their faces.


Utah
I came back to Utah for my last week in Provo among my friends before moving back to California. I had a splendid good bye party! I love all my friends there and will miss them so dearly! Here are some pictures from the night.




Arizona and Nevada
en route to California

California
I finally moved back to California to start my job in the Fall at Milam, Knecht, and Warner LLC. - an accounting firm. The day after I got back I made a quick trip to Downtown LA for the Lakers Parade! So FUN! Now I am just in the process of studying for my CPA Exam. My first test is this Friday, in Regulation, aka Tax. EEEK, that is tomorrow!



Illinois
I flew into Chicago O'Hare Airport en route to visiting my dear friend Ruth, who lives in Michigan.

Michigan and Indiana
I spent a whole week in Michigan/Indiana with a dear and wonderful friend from BYU, Ruth, and her family. What a fun time I had playing with little children, eating home-made foods, making jam, bike riding, going to downtown Chicago for a day, reading Nancy Drew books, and getting pedicures. Ruth was such a great hostess and so was her family. Rachael, her older sister who lives in Indiana, is an amazing mom who is very on top of life... it was great to watch her each day with her children! I learned a lot about what it takes to be a mom! Saying good bye to Ruth was sad and hard, but I will see her soon! :)



Texas
Layover in Dallas, Fort Worth...

So... maybe I didn't travel the world, but I did indeed hit 8 states + Mexico in a matter of 2 weeks. I would say that is an accomplishment! I just loved seeing and meeting so many different people in the process.

4 comments:

  1. I love your update! I wish you were still in Utah. Must plan a visit soon. :) <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure loved having you here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a blast!! how did your exam go?! you likely rocked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! looks like you've been living it up :) good luck with the CPA! How did the first part go?

    ReplyDelete