Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Summer 2010

I know, I know... I haven't blogged in over 4 months. I don't know what came over me? I attribute it to my endless hours of studying for the CPA, meeting/making/and playing with new friends, running running running a lot, and road tripping! Needless to say, my being MIA has not gone unnoticed... many of my dear friends have reprimanded my neglectful blogging. So, in an effort to redeem myself I will attempt to recap my entire Summer, up until now, in this post.

CPA Exam
What is a CPA? It's a Certified Public Accountant. What is the CPA Exam? It's dreadful. I study every. single. day. from approximately 10 am until 5 pm for this test. There are 4 parts to it. Each part is accompanied by a textbook and lecture CD which I go through slooowwwlllyyyy; working problems, listening to these men with New York accents talk to me about accounting.

The books...




Peter Olinto. Would you like to stare at him all day?


I then sit for the exam. Each one is about 3-4 hours long. I enter the testing center. An ornery lady with short and bright red hair takes my fingerprints to confirm my identity (because naturally someone would try to sneak in to take one of these exams). I then am guided to a small cubicle where before me sits a monitor, keyboard, and a set of sound blocking headphones. I sit down. The 4 hour timer begins to tick down to 0. If I want to take a bathroom break, I have to sign out, but that timer doesn't stop for me. So, if out of all of this I have gained nothing, I have at least perfected my ability to use the restroom in record-breaking time!! I won't continue on with this lovely aspect of my life, however, the CPA Exam has been a big part of my Summer 2010. Lovely.


Family Fun, Old Friends, and Good byes :(
One fun weekend I spent with my family included a trip to Santa Barbara. We hopped on the train. Took a ride up North, and spent the day along the beach, riding a family bike (aka my Dad pushed us a lot because we were too lazy to pedal), and watching the Spanish Festival right on Main Street.


On the family bike



Soon after that day though, my little sister, Shannon, moved away to BYU-Idaho for college. We miss her. A. Lot.

My sisters and I + our cousins at Shannon's going away party
(From left to right) Me, Samantha (sis), Nora (cousin), Shannon (sis), Rita (cousin)




We Skype often though!




I've also spent some happy times with my friends from my childhood. I love them. A lot. It's so nice to have those constant friends, no matter what.

High School friends, at our friend Michael's wedding




Jess and I at a Dodger Game!


Trip to Utah for Conference
In the beginning of October I traveled to Utah to visit my wonderful and dear friends from BYU; I also got the chance to attend General Conference and listen to the words of our Prophet and Apostles. It was an amazing trip. It felt so good and comforting to know I have loved ones even miles away. It was wonderful to catch up with old friends and pick up right where we left off. What a blessing. Conference was also such a blessing for me this year. My testimony of the Prophet was reaffirmed.


(From left to right) Me, Daniela, Kristina, Ruth




Half Marathon
After my Utah trip I began training for my first Half Marathon!!! I cannot wait. I am in the middle of Week 4 of training. I feel great. I can run up to 5 miles now without stopping which I love! Running is actually a stress relief now, rather than a dreaded activity. Here is my running schedule:




Trip to Washington
I got to fly to Washington to see two of my closest and dearest friends get married... to EACH OTHER!!! I must say, I was the match maker on this one. My close friend Steve Merrill married my dear friend Janae Burrup, and I got to be a part of this beautiful day/weekend. I love them both so much and I wish them the best!





My Ward - G7
This has been the most wonderful and happiest part of my Summer. I moved back to California worried about losing the social aspect that was so readily available at BYU; little did I know that I would make some of the greatest friends and meet some of the most genuine people in my new ward here at home!! I think the only way I can adequately describe this part of my Summer will be through pictures. Enjoy :)


Cat, Mel, and I. Honestly, I love them.





Jon. Master Chef.





Me (Wilma), Christine (Tink), Cecilly (Greek Goddess)





Dance Party





My dear Cecilly





Cat giving a small group of us nose waxes. Incredible btw!



So... yeah. That has been my Summer in a nutshell. Very busy. Very fun. Very happy.

8 comments:

  1. i love your summer 2010.
    i honestly love you too.
    you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much goodness, but I have to say, I'm glad you were wilma because I was pebbles, it seems somewhat fitting for you to be my mother, reminiscent of freshman year. love you grrrl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's right... I'm creepin on your blog :) The CPA examness almost sounds as bad than the jr. core, ALMOST. you are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad I made the cut on your YEARLY blog update ;) love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so very much, but not as much as I love you! I'm so glad I got to be a part of your summer!! And I think you've inspired me to switch to blogspot. Tumblr isn't working out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post makes me happy because you are so happy! good luck with the cpas and keep having fun with everything you've got goin on!

    p.s. i cannot believe how beautiful shannon and samantha are now! they're not little girls any more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for your post!!!! I've missed you! - so why don't I just pick up the phone and call you? - Good questions, I will. Also, you could have only put that you were studying for the CPA and I would have understood why you haven't posted. :) AND, that's so exciting you are doing a half!! - I did my first over Halloween weekend, and LOVED it. I miss you as a running buddy, that was fun. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you missed me in your summer and our "cozy skype chats" :) miss you friend

    ReplyDelete